Come work with us! Seward Neighborhood Group (SNG) and Longfellow Community Council (LCC) are hiring for a VISTA Tenant Organizer position starting August 1, 2022.
ABOUT SNG & LCC
SNG is recognized by the City of Minneapolis as the community engagement organization for the Seward neighborhood. SNG works to make the Seward neighborhood more vital, equitable, livable, and sustainable – by building relationships, by engaging all community members, by promoting equitable and accessible development of the built environment, and by acting as stewards of our natural environment. SNG organizes community events, projects, and programs; connects residents to important resources; and advocates for policies that improve the lives of Seward residents.
LCC is the resident participation group for the Cooper, Hiawatha, Howe, and Longfellow neighborhoods. LCC is a community-based organization that represents the interests of residents in the Greater Longfellow area. We develop, protect and enhance neighborhood assets through community engagement. The mission of the Longfellow Community Council is to improve the well-being of our diverse community through engagement, involvement and empowerment.
ABOUT THE VISTA POSITION
SNG & LCC are looking for a passionate, community-focused, self-directed VISTA to assist both organizations in three key areas of our renter engagement work:
- Rental property identification
- Building Ambassador identification
- Renter communications networks identification
This position reports directly to the LCC Executive Director and works with the SNG Executive Director, Community Organizers for both organizations, the joint LCC/SNG Communications Manager, and any relevant committees. The start date for this position is August 1, 2022.
- Rental Property Identification
- Identify all of the rental properties in the two neighborhoods
- Identify a primary owner/manager contact for each property
- Create a spreadsheet/database for each neighborhood with this information
- Building Ambassador Identification
- Identify at least one resident in every multifamily (4+ units) rental property who is willing to be a primary contact/building ambassador for SNG or LCC
- Connect primary contacts to LCC and SNG Community Organizers and Communications Manager
- Renter Communication Network Identification
- Identify any formal or informal resident communications networks in 4+ unit multifamily buildings (e.g. newsletters, Facebook group, community bulletin boards, etc.) that SNG and LCC can link to in order to promote activities and initiatives
- Connect these resident communications networks to LCC and SNG Community Organizers and Communications Manager
COMPENSATION & SUPPORT
The VISTA will receive the following compensation for this position:
- A bi-weekly living stipend of $575 (paid by Americorp*VISTA)
- A healthcare allowance of up to $7,900 that can be used for any eligible medical expense (paid by Americorp*VISTA)
- A housing stipend of $600 per month (paid by host organizations directly to landlord or morgage)
- At the end of the VISTA service year: choice of an education award ($6,345) or cash stipend ($1,800)
- Childcare allowance (if eligible)
- Federal student loan deferment/forbearance or credit toward Public Service Loan
- Additional benefits to be determined
The following support is also provided to the VISTA:
- Enrollment in the Neighborhoods Now! community organizer training program at the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs at the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities.
- HOME Line provides technical assistance, peer support, supervisory support, networking and professional development opportunities, and education on tenant/landlord law and renter rights.
- As the host organizations, SNG and LCC will also provide opportunities for training, mentoring, professional development, and connections to partner organizations.
The ideal candidate for this VISTA position will have all or most of the following:
- Some previous community organizing experience
- Ability to build relationships with a wide range of individuals and organizations.
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with diverse communities and a demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion
We are looking for someone who is:
- Enthusiastic, outgoing, patient, and persistent
- A self-directed self-starter
- Team-oriented, with a good sense of humor, and a sense of camaraderie
- Adventurous and willing to jump into spaces they may not be familiar or comfortable with
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application for VISTA Position” in the subject line. Please attach a current resume and a cover letter describing your interest in the position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled. The start date for this position is the end of August. Questions about the organizations, the position, and the status of the application process are welcome. Please email any question to: email@example.com with “Question” in the subject line.