Resources for navigating encampment formation, resources for houseless neighbors and property owners from the City of Minneapolis Homeless Response Team. Find more information about the City’s HRT and the City’s response to homelessness on their website.
What to do if you believe an encampment is forming on your property
The Homeless Response Team (HRT) supports private property owners in managing encampments. The HRT will assess the encampment and offer resources to people who are staying there.
You can contact either:
To curb trespassing, you can:
- Get NO TRESPASSING signs by contacting your neighborhood Crime Prevention Specialist
- Post the NO TRESPASSING signs on the property
- Fence the lot or open space where tents or structures have been erected
To report continued trespassing or criminal activity:
- If trespassing continues, contact the Minneapolis Police Department
- If there is criminal activity, call 911
Property owner responsibilities
You are responsible for cleaning up trash on your property.
If there are syringes, use appropriate protective gear and dispose of them safely.
- If you need more information, contact 311
- If you need to dispose of needles and sharps, get more information from Hennepin County
Once the property is cleared, it is your responsibility to secure the property so people do not return.
Information to share with unsheltered individuals on your property
If you think an encampment is forming, you may share this information with the individuals trespassing on your property.
Hennepin County Resources
The City provides a comprehensive list of resources for people experiencing homelessness or financial hardship.
- View the Hennepin County Waypoint resources
- Additional homeless street outreach support resources
|Adult Shelter Connect (single adults)
|Hennepin County Shelter Team (family shelter)
|After-Hours Shelter Team (family shelter)